Contact: Laura Vernon, FFSL (801) 538-5530 Gretchen Semerad, SWCA (801) 322-4307
The Utah Department of Natural Resources Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands (FFSL) is seeking public comment on the draft Comprehensive Management Plans (CMPs) and draft Mineral Leasing Plan (MLP) for the Green and Colorado Rivers. Multiple open houses will be held to host the public and receive comments about the draft plans.
Utah Administrative Code R652-2-100 authorizes FFSL to prescribe land management objectives for sovereign lands. The beds of navigable waters within the state, including portions of the Green and Colorado Rivers, are owned by the state but held in trust for the public. FFSL is required to ensure that all uses on, beneath or above the bed of the Green and Colorado Rivers are regulated to protect navigation, fish and wildlife habitat, aquatic beauty, public recreation and water quality. FFSL has spent the past year developing a draft Comprehensive Management Plan (CMP) and draft updated Mineral Leasing Plan (MLP) for the state-owned, sovereign land sections of the Green and Colorado Rivers. The CMPs and MLP will provide clear and consistent guidance for FFSL on the management of the Green and Colorado River resources.
During the month of June, FFSL, with assistance from its contractors (SWCA Environmental Consultants and CRSA), will present information regarding the draft CMP and MLP management strategies and seek public participation at open house meetings in each county that contains state-owned sovereign land sections of the rivers. The open houses are the second round of public meetings held during this plan development process. The comment period will run from May 31, 2019 – July 19, 2019. Comments can be submitted at the public meetings, online at the project website, or via e-mail to the addresses below. It is anticipated that the final CMPs and MLP and Decision Document will be completed by December 2019.
All residents are encouraged to attend the public open house in their county. For more information about the project and/or to be added to our mailing list, contact Gretchen Semerad at 801-322-4307 or email@example.com or Laura Vernon at 801-538-5530 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Project information and additional public meeting information can also be obtained on the project website at http://bit.ly/gcrcmp. Thank you for your support of the Green and Colorado Rivers.
Open House Time/Date and Locations:
- Uintah County on June 10th from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Uintah County Library in Vernal;
- Wayne County on June 10th from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Hanksville EMS Building in Hanksville;
- Garfield County on June 18th from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Escalante Senior Center in Escalante;
- Kane County on June 19th from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Kanab City Library in Kanab;
- San Juan County on June 24th from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the San Juan County Administration Building in Monticello;
- Grand County on June 25th from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Grand Center in Moab; and
- Emery County on June 26th from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the John Wesley Powell River History Museum in Green River