Utah’s Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands received a Notice of Funding Opportunity to participate in the Community Wildfire Defense Grant (CWDG), which is a 5-year program funded through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) and administered by the USDA Forest Service in partnership with state forestry agencies. $5 billion has been allocated over 5 years to help communities at risk of wildfires fund projects that support the three goals in the National Cohesive Strategy:
- Restoring and maintaining landscapes
- Creating fire-adapted communities
- Improving wildfire response
The CWDG program is entering its third year. Round two applications are currently being scored. Utah is now accepting applications for projects that fit into two categories; 1) Develop or revise a Community Wildfire Protection Plan (CWPP) or 2) Implement a project identified within a CWPP. Any entity can apply, including state agencies, counties, municipalities, NGO’s, Tribes and HOA’s.
Utah’s 2024 deadline for application submission will be announced in the next Notice of Funding Opportunity which will likely open early summer of 2024 and close fall of 2024.
Links to helpful resources:
- CWDG Utah Fact Sheet
- USDA CWDG Webpage
- Notice of Funding Opportunity Round 2
- Council of Western State Foresters CWDG Webpage
- CWDG Round 2 Fillable PDF
- CWDG Eligibility and Scoring Tool
- CWDG Focused Grant Writing 101 recorded video
Point of Contact for Utah:
Statewide Grant Coordinator