The Utah Division of Forestry, Fire & State Lands along with several partnerships holds an Annual Arbor Day Poster Contest for elementary-aged children. Please click on the tabs below for more information about the poster contest.
The 2020 Utah Arbor Day Poster Contest Theme is:
Trees are Terrific No Matter Where You Live!
Poster Contest Objectives
- Teach today’s children – tomorrow’s leaders- about the importance of trees in our lives.
- Recognize children’s creativity and show them how they can help the environment.
- Provide Utah educators with teaching materials about trees and their value in our environment.
- Eligibility: All Utah students in grades K-6 plus Special Education* are eligible to enter their schools’ poster contest. Each school may submit one poster per grade to the State Arbor Day Contest. If we receive more than one poster per grade than the entire school will be disqualified.
- Theme: Include the theme, “Trees are Terrific No Matter Where You Live!” in the poster design. The theme must be free drawn and spelled correctly. Stencils, computer-generated letters, and press-on letters are not acceptable.
- Participation Guidelines
- Official Contest Rules
- Note: The essay portion of the contest has been discontinued.
*Special Education students are defined as: Intellectually handicapped students in self-contained classrooms. No resource students permitted in this category.
- Online School Registration form Register by February 24, 2020
- or download the School Registration Form in – MS Word / PDF
- Poster Entry Form – MS Word / PDF
- School Report Form – MS Word / PDF
- Northern region: Rich, Cache, Box Elder, Weber, Morgan, Davis, Summit and Daggett counties.
- Central region: Tooele, Salt Lake, Utah, Wasatch, Duchesne and Uintah counties.
- Southern region: Millard, Juab, Sanpete, Piute, Sevier, Beaver, Kane, Washington, Garfield, Iron, Carbon, Emery, Grand, Wayne, and San Juan counties.
- School Contests: Each school must arrange for judging and prizes in its individual school contest. Each school may submit only one poster from each grade, K-6, and Special Ed, to the Utah Arbor Day Committee. The maximum poster entries are 8 per school. If we receive more than one poster per grade than the entire school will be disqualified.
- Regional Contests: State Arbor Day judges will select one region winner for each grade, K-6. One of these will be judged Best of Region.
- State Contest: Regional winners will be finalists in the state contest. Judges will select a statewide winner for each grade plus Special Education. Judges will choose a grand prize winner from the eight statewide winners.
- School Registrations: Schools must register for the Utah Arbor Day Contest by February 24, 2020.
- School Contests: Schools administer poster contest to determine the best posters for each grade level. This should be completed by the first week of March.
- State/Regional Contest: Schools must deliver (NOT postmarked) winning posters by March 10, 2020, to:
Utah Arbor Day Committee
Division of Forestry, Fire & State Lands
1594 W North Temple Suite 3520
PO Box 145703
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-5703
For further information contact Jeran Farley at 801-538-5505
Impartial judges for the regional and state contests are selected by the Utah Arbor Day Committee. Winners will be notified by the first part of April. Judging is based on the following criteria:
- Theme: How well the theme “Trees are Terrific No Matter Where You Live!” is used in the poster.
- Design: Originality, composition, color and technique.
- Suitability for Reproduction: The grand prize poster will be professionally printed for statewide and national distribution. Bright colors, clear lettering, and good spelling are important.
(Home schools are not eligible for school prizes)
- Best of Region (three): $500 for each winner’s school.
- All Participating Schools: $50 tree coupon to purchase and plant a tree as part of school Arbor Day celebration
- State Grand Prize: Nursery gift card, poster professionally framed, a certificate signed by the Governor and other prizes.
- State Winners: Nursery gift card, poster professionally framed, a certificate signed by the Governor and other prizes.
- Regional Winners: Nursery gift card, a certificate and other prizes.
- All Regional Entries: Honorable Mention Certificate and pencil.
State first-place winners and the grand prize winner will be invited to participate in the state Arbor Day ceremony. Best of Region winners will be recognized at their school celebration. All winners’ artwork will be highlighted on our website.