What is a Red Card:
The Red Card is an agency-issued document that certifies that an individual has the training, experience, and physical fitness to perform the tasks of a specified position on a wildland or prescribed fire.
Requirements for Red Card:
Basic Firefighter Training:
– IC-100, Introduction to ICS
– L-180, Human Factors in the Wildland Fire Service
– S-130, Firefighter Training
– S-190, Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior
– IS-700, NIMS: An Introduction
– Pack Test: Arduous Fitness Level (45lbs, 3 miles, 45 minutes)- Complete field day and practical skills test
How to get a Red Card:
1. Call your local volunteer fire department and ask about Red Card certification programs.
2. Attend a postsecondary education program or fire school that specifically certifies wildland firefighters. For example, Utah Fire and Rescue Academy (Orem, UT), Colorado Firecamp (Salida, CO), Rio Hondo Fire Academy (Santa Fe Springs, CA), etc.