Lone Peak Hotshots – Job

If, at any point, you have a question, please contact LonePeakHotshots@utah.gov

Do not contact any Lone Peak personnel directly. Use the email address above for all inquiries.

2022 Lead Crewmember

Application Period – 11/01/2021 to 01/14/2022

There are five steps to complete the application process.

  • STEP 2: Fill out the Application Form.
    You will be asked to submit your own resume and cover letter.

  • STEP 3: Read and complete the Fitness Test.
  • STEP 4: Read and complete the Questionnaire
  • STEP 5: Submit the completed Fitness Test and Questionnaire at the same time
    This should be completed within seven days of your application.

Complete ALL five steps to be officially considered for the position.

Frequently Asked Questions

When does the season start and end?

Start Date: Mid-April

We are a professional crew and require our members to be ready and available for the entire field season. Those who are seeking post-secondary degrees are advised to apply elsewhere as we want devoted and focused crewmembers only.

End Date: October 31st

Depending on the season, this date may be extended.

How Does the Chain of Command Work on LPIHC


1 Superintendent
2 Captains

— Two Squads —
2 Squad Leaders (1/squad)
2 Lead Crewmembers (1/squad)
4 Saw Teams (4 Sawyers, 4 Swampers, 2 teams/squad)
8 Diggers (4/squad)

Why work for the State over the Feds?

  • Pay: As you earn NWCG certifications and complete task books, your compensation will increase incrementally. In other words, your work experience AND “time in grade” is taken into consideration regarding wage. Also, our organization’s pay scale is formulated based on the state of Utah’s economic performance which is typically robust and ranks near the top of the nation. Though not guaranteed, a Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) can be an annual occurrence.
  • NWCG Classes: During Winter and Spring, we nominate crewmembers for NWCG courses at the Utah Fire and Rescue Academy (UFRA). Classes are fully funded by Lone Peak.
  • Location of Duty Station: Lone Peak Conservation Center (LPCC) is based in the Salt Lake City metro area. Various housing options, outdoor recreation, and urban entertainment are all conveniently accessible. Lone Peak does not offer subsidized housing or barracks to crewmembers.
  • On-Call Pay: When we are not attached to an incident, on a project, or on R&R, crewmembers are “on call” and compensated for it.
  • Per Diem: The State of Utah covers all food and lodging expenses while out on assignment. There are no requirements to front money or wait for reimbursement.
  • Networking: LPCC is home to two Hotshot crews, two IA crews, and two Engines. There are opportunities to cross train between these resources. Also, several Lone Peaker’s have successfully gone on to Smokejumper platforms and/or spend their off-seasons in the Southern U.S. to help various agencies with prescribed fire.
  • State of Utah: No need to worry about government shutdowns, the state is always open.

Can I come visit the shop?

We welcome visits. Please write to LonePeakHotshots@gmail.com with “Shop Visit” in the subject line to schedule a time. Wednesdays after 10:00 work best.
A typical visit lasts less than 30 minutes. We will show you around the facility, show you the buggies, and talk about your resume. It’s a good way to put a face to the name.

What is a Red Card and how do I get one?

What is a Red Card:
The Red Card is an agency-issued document that certifies that an individual has the training, experience, and physical fitness to perform the tasks of a specified position on a wildland or prescribed fire.  

Requirements for Red Card: 
Basic Firefighter Training:
– IC-100, Introduction to ICS
– L-180, Human Factors in the Wildland Fire Service
– S-130, Firefighter Training
– S-190, Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior
– IS-700, NIMS: An Introduction
– Pack Test: Arduous Fitness Level (45lbs, 3 miles, 45 minutes)- Complete field day and practical skills test 
How to get a Red Card:
1. Call your local volunteer fire department and ask about Red Card certification programs.
2. Attend a postsecondary education program or fire school that specifically certifies wildland firefighters. For example, Utah Fire and Rescue Academy (Orem, UT), Colorado Firecamp (Salida, CO), Rio Hondo Fire Academy (Santa Fe Springs, CA), etc.