Black Locust - Herriman
|Common Name||Black Locust|
|Address||12733 S Pioneer Street, Herriman|
|DBH Diameter at Breast Height (DBH) is the standard forestry measurement of the tree's trunk diameter at 4.5 ft from the base.|
|Name of Nominator||Krystal Brklacich|
|Ownership||Public: Herriman City|
In 1849, Thomas Butterfield and his family were the first to make their way into Herriman and settle down. In 1852 they were joined by John Jay Stockings family with three additional families following soon after, and initiated the construction of Fort Herriman in 1855. The pioneers manned the fort between 1855 and 1858. In 1858, Johnston's Army was approaching the valley with plans to install new government in the area. This instilled fear in the settlers who then decided to head south, taking what they could and leaving everything else to be burned should the army take the valley. The conflict never reached that point and settlements were not burned. The pioneers eventually returned to the area and began to lay out plans for a town. They started building homes on land set a distance from the Fort.
John Jay Stockings, one of the founding pioneers of the City, introduced 2 Black Locust trees along with various fruit and berry bushes, to Herriman during his time manning the fort. The two Black Locusts were planted on each side of the Fort Herriman gate. They were watered by an irrigation ditch that was in place. They stood tall throughout the years of conflict and continued to prosper once the pioneers returned.
As time passed, Herriman grew in size and eventually became a City. City employees had very little knowledge about these beautiful trees and the heritage behind their survival. They allowed Utah Power and Light to put their high voltage lines through and over the trees and trimmed them in a manner that disturbed members of our community who admired and cared for the deep history of the trees. The ditch that the trees utilized as their water source had been piped by the irrigation company, leading to loss of water for several years.
Over the last few years, the City has recognized the historical value and symbolism of these two trees and put great effort into reviving and caring for them. Today, the City has established our Community Gardens which serves as a water source to these trees. They remain standing and serve as a significant reminder of days gone by.